The U.S. Division of Well being and Human Companies (HHS) and the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Basis have introduced 5 Section 2 winners within the LymeX Diagnostics Prize, a contest to speed up the event of Lyme disease diagnostics.
From January to September 2023, 10 teams participated in a virtual accelerator designed to assist them refine their ideas for detecting lively Lyme disease infections in individuals. The purpose of this multiphase LymeX Innovation Accelerator (LymeX) competitors is to nurture the event of diagnostics towards Meals and Drug Administration evaluation.
“With Lyme disease circumstances approaching an estimated 500,000 yearly, People want an FDA-approved diagnostic that may precisely check for lively infections. HHS is working with the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Basis via the LymeX Innovation Accelerator public-private partnership to speed up essential improvements in business and academia that might enhance remedy and take care of this debilitating illness.”
— Rear Admiral Michael F. Iademarco, M.D., MPH, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Science and Medication
Meet the winners within the $2 million Section 2
The Section 2 digital accelerator supplied entry to digital studying, mentorship, biorepository subject material experience, and networking alternatives designed to assist the cohort progress towards FDA evaluation. Section 2 awarded $2 million in prizes based mostly on the groups’ interim and last submissions.
“As we congratulate our Section 2 winners, we’re additionally proud to help the subsequent steps in advancing these exams towards FDA evaluation. This award marks a significant milestone within the struggle towards Lyme disease—and hope for therefore many People prone to an infection.”
— Alex Cohen, President of the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Basis
Learn extra concerning the Section 2 winners, who will every be awarded $265,000:
- BlueArc Biosciences Inc. (La Jolla, California). A molecular diagnostic blood check for Lyme B. burgdorferi s.l. utilizing modern polymerase chain response (PCR) assay that targets biomarkers for elevated accuracy utilizing commonplace laboratory gear.
- Drexel University (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania). A small-volume serum check utilizing glycan biomarkers to detect lively Lyme disease an infection and monitor remedy response.
- HelixBind Inc. (Marlborough, Massachusetts). An ultrasensitive, automated check to detect and determine lively Lyme borreliosis, direct from blood, in three hours.
- T2 Biosystems Inc. (Lexington, Massachusetts). A complete blood check designed to instantly detect Lyme disease-causing micro organism, offering leads to three to 5 hours with greater accuracy.
- Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, Virginia). A check utilizing monoclonal antibodies together with each immuno-PCR and lateral movement to quickly detect a singular B. burgdorferi biomarker in blood and urine.
Every crew’s last idea paper described how they’re growing their diagnostic, included scientific and affected person enter, and proposed a roadmap from laboratory to market that features FDA evaluation.
The competitors judging panel—composed of specialists in areas similar to vector-borne illness biology, scientific and expertise translation, affected person expertise and advocacy, and diagnostic science and expertise—evaluated eligible submissions in response to official Phase 2 evaluation criteria.
HHS lays out bold nationwide technique
The Section 2 winner announcement comes as a part of a broader release of the HHS National Public Health Strategy to Prevent and Control Vector-Borne Diseases in People (VBD Nationwide Technique).
Co-led by the HHS Workplace of the Assistant Secretary for Well being and Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention, the VBD Nationwide Technique identifies and describes federal priorities to detect, forestall, reply to, and management illnesses and circumstances brought on by vectors in america.
Vectors—together with mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, and lice—can unfold pathogens which are main causes of demise and sickness worldwide; illnesses unfold by vectors embody Lyme disease, Zika virus, West Nile Virus, dengue, malaria, plague, Rocky Mountain Noticed Fever, and alpha-gal syndrome.
What comes subsequent within the multiphase competitors
Due to a $10 million pledge to the LymeX Diagnostics Prize from the Steven & Alexandra Cohen Basis, $7 million in extra LymeX prizes are projected to be accessible in proposed future phases.