Triggered by a chunk from the lone star tick, alpha-gal syndrome (AGS) may cause extreme allergy symptoms to pink meat, together with beef, pork, and lamb. Presently, the CDC doesn’t accumulate numbers of AGS instances. A Virginia invoice goals to alter that, directing its Board of Well being to report these instances. The next data was forwarded to us by Tick-Borne Circumstances United.
Virginia Alpha-Gal Syndrome Advocacy
***Please don’t name or e-mail in case you are not from Virginia!***
- Home Invoice 93 would direct the VA Board of Well being so as to add Alpha-gal Syndrome (AGS) to the record of ailments required to be reported to the Facilities for Illness Management.
- H.B. 93 was launched by Delegate Otto Wachsmann who has suffered from alpha-gal himself. He’s ready to work arduous to get his invoice by the Virginia Home of Delegates in time for “crossover” to the Senate by February 13 as a way to have an opportunity to move the Normal Meeting this yr. However he wants all of our assist to make this occur!
Please take a minute to achieve out to your state delegate and ask them to assist H.B. 93
- You possibly can name or e-mail, however calls get considerably extra consideration than emails. This invoice may very well be thought-about any day, so please take motion at this time!
- You’ll find out who your state delegate is and their contact data right here: https://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/
- Introduce your self! “Hiya, that is Jane Smith from ___, Virginia.”
- Inform them why you’re calling/emailing: “I’m calling at this time to ask you to assist a invoice that is essential to me/my household. Home Invoice 93 would add alpha-gal syndrome to the record of ailments required to be reported to the Facilities for Illness Management. Alpha-gal syndrome is a critical tick-borne situation that causes an allergy to mammal meat and mammal merchandise.”
- Inform them why you care: “This invoice is vital to me as a result of….. (give a really quick accounting of your expertise with alpha-gal and the way arduous it’s to get good data and discover medical doctors who find out about it, meals you possibly can safely eat and medication that’s secure for you.) “
- Inform them why they need to care: “Virginia a hotspot for alpha-gal syndrome. Whereas no one is aware of the true extent, in some areas of the state, as much as 3 p.c of the inhabitants is suspected to endure from the illness and will have probably life-threatening allergic reactions. Many go undiagnosed! Including the illness to the record of circumstances required to be reported will assist doc the extent of this illness in VA and observe its unfold in order that public well being sources could be centered accordingly.
- Full the ask: “Can I depend on Del. X’s assist for H.B. 93 and is there any additional data you want?”